Use leftover Zuri® decking to add a finishing touch to your outdoor oasis.
Let’s do this
- Styrofoam cooler
- Leftover decking boards (slats and L-shaped pieces)
- 1 set of 2 1/2" zinc narrow hinges
- 1.5" nails
- Zinc handle
- (6) 22"/ 5.5" Slat Zuri board as front and back panels for body
- (6) 17"/ 5.5" Slat Zuri board as side panels for body
- (6) 20"/ 5.5" Slat Zuri board as lid and bottom for body
- (6) 38" L-shaped Zuri boardas legs
- (2) 14" L-shaped Zuri board as brace for lid interior
Measure and cut the wood that will surround the cooler. Measure and pre-drill pilot holes for connecting your boards together.
Build a rectangular box using the wood you measured for the front, side and bottom panels. Insert 1.5” screws into pre-drilled pilot holes. Repeat process for the other two cooler body segments. Build the bottom of the cooler on one of the boxes.
Align your three boxes. Pre-drill one hole in each of the side panels to align with desired leg placement.
Line up L-shaped decking pieces so the edges are flush with the top of the cooler body. Using a Phillips head screwdriver or drill attachment, carefully connect the L-shaped legs to the cooler body using 1.5” screws.
Align the slats needed to form the lid of the cooler holder. Use smaller pieces to create cross braces to connect your lid pieces.
On the topmost front panel, measure down 1” and install a lid stopper using a 4” section of decking. Screw hinges into the body of the cooler, and screw handle to the lid.
Drop your cooler into the wood box, fill with ice and your favorite summer beverages. Enjoy!